“They said to each other, ‘Were not our hearts burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us?” Luke 24:32
The Parish Pastoral Council aims to promote a parish with Jesus at the centre of its mission; making welcome searchers and believers. We strive to reach out to all in our community, sharing responsibility on the journey of faith.
For the duration that the COVID level 3 restrictions are in place, no gatherings for public worship are allowed, apart from funerals which are limited to 25 people attending. Daily and Sunday Masses can only be celebrated online, without a public presence. All other ceremonies, such as First Communions and Baptisms are, unfortunately, postponed until the restrictions are lifted.
For simplicity’s sake, we will have just one Mass at 10am each day, including Sunday, at Assumption Church. Click here to join those Masses live. The usual Saturday 7pm Vigil, and the Sunday 9.30am & 11.30am Masses, will be replaced by the Sunday 10am Mass until the restrictions are lifted. Any anniversary intentions for those usual Saturday Vigil and Sunday Masses will be included in the Sunday Mass at 10am.
You can access a whole range of other Masses, beginning at different times, by clicking here.
Our church at Assumption will be open for private prayer, and for people to come and light a candle, from 10.30am, to 3pm, Monday to Friday. However, if funerals are taking place during this time, people are asked not to enter until the funeral has ended.
The Parish Sacristy Office will be open from 10.30am to 12 Noon, Monday to Friday.
See below for the relevant statements and updates from Archbishop Diarmuid Martin
FURTHER NOTICE CONCERNING THE PASTORAL SITUATION IN COUNTY DUBLIN UNDER CHANGED CORONAVIRUS NORMS
19 September 2020
I am seriously concerned that many people may be underestimating the seriousness of the current situation in County Dublin and indeed now in other counties. The spread of the virus has reached serious levels and constitutes a real risk of radically increased infection within the community. In many cases, the increase in numbers is due to gatherings within households and communities.
That is the reason why the public health authorities are stressing the urgent need to reduce the number of contacts that each one of us has in this period. Reducing contacts requires a specific effort on the part of each of us to deliberately change the number of people with whom we would normally come into contact. This is as important in the current situation as the need for face masks, social distancing and handwashing.
The need to reduce contacts and the size of gatherings is also at the root of the norms that ask us to limit public worship and close Churches. It is true that due to the extraordinary effort of parishes in adapting Church buildings and reducing attendance, thank God, there has been no indication of the virus being spread in worshiping communities. However, the situation today has changed and the measures introduced, no matter how they may sadden us, are appropriate at this time.
I have seen reports quoting a Vatican document urging a rapid return to normal worship. Some are using that as an indication that the official line of the Holy See is to object to restrictions. This is a very serious distortion of what that document says. The document, as I quoted yesterday, strongly supports the application of restrictive measures and “painful decisions even to the point of suspending the participation of the faithful in the celebration of the Eucharist for a long period”, when the need is great.
I understand the disappointment of families who had been ready for the celebration of First Communion and Confirmation and find them postponed. Unfortunately, they cannot take place during the current period. Places of worship must remain closed except for private prayer as well as for limited attendance at funerals and weddings.
I am also worried about parishes taking initiatives to “get First Communions and Confirmations done”. I appreciate the pressure that families and schools can bring in parishes. We have to remember that First Communions and Confirmations are sacramental acts and must be celebrated in an appropriate liturgical context and catechetical preparation.
The idea that sacramental acts have to be done quickly and can be done outside the normal liturgical situation is false. There is no urgent need to celebrate these sacraments just because they fit into the school calendar. In many dioceses, celebrations of First Communions have yet to be begin.
Some efforts, often well intentioned, run the risk of reducing the administration of sacramental acts almost to the level of a supermarket in which you can drop in and “get the sacrament done”. This would reduce the Eucharist to a commodity. First Communion and Confirmation ought to be celebrated through personal participation in a liturgical act. Indeed, I have been hearing many very favourable comments on the small and intimately prayerful celebrations that have been taking place in most parishes and I am very appreciative of parishes who have arranged this. They show that carefully taking time produces better results that undue haste.
Saturday 19 September 2020
Covid Update from Archbishop Diarmuid Martin
FURTHER NOTICE CONCERNING THE PASTORAL SITUATION IN COUNTY DUBLIN UNDER CHANGED CORONAVIRUS NORMS
18 September 2020 – Evening
Confirmation has been received that, in the light of the very worrying increase in infection in the Dublin area, the entire County Dublin will be placed on Level 3 of the Government’s COVID-19 Resilience and National Recovery Plan, beginning at midnight tonight and for at least a three-week period.
The norms apply to all places of worship within County Dublin, including those of religious houses that are generally open to the public. They do not apply to the Churches of the Archdiocese of Dublin in Counties Wicklow, Wexford, Kildare and Laois.
Places of worship will have to remain closed from midnight tonight, except for private prayer, weddings and funerals. Attendance at wedding liturgies and funerals will be limited to 25.
Religious services can be transmitted online with no public presence. As was the case in the past, parishes should make known as soon as possible the times of the transmission of Masses online. Where an individual parish does not have the ability to transmit online, details of neighbouring parishes can be supplied. The Masses from the Pro-Cathedral are accessible on www.dublindiocese.ie and www.procathedral.ie . Time of other Masses online can be found at www.churchservices.tv
While online transmissions can play a vital role in reaching out to the sick and where it is not possible to hold public liturgies, we have to remember that no broadcast can replace personal participation with our brothers and sisters in the Eucharistic assembly that has the church building as its home. We must pray intensely that we will be able to return to public worship at the earliest possible date.
Confirmation and First Communion services (including those planned for tomorrow, Saturday) will therefore not be possible during this period and will have to be postponed. Permissions already granted to priests to celebrate Confirmations remain valid for a rescheduled date. Any celebration of these Sacraments -such as in schools or other places – constitutes public worship and is covered by this restriction and should not take place. I understand the concerns that this may bring to many families.
I am aware of the fact that these measures will be painful for many. The decisions are made to respond in the best possible way to an unforeseen and complex situation. The Holy See’s Congregation for Divine Worship in a recent letter, approved by Pope Francis, noted that restrictions should be limited in time and that as soon as circumstances permit it is urgent to return to the normality of Christian life. It also stressed unambiguously the gratitude of the Congregation to Bishops who “in listening to and collaborating with civil authorities and experts… have been prompt to make difficult and painful decisions even to the point of suspending the participation of the faithful in the celebration of the Eucharist for a long period”
Today, we find ourselves sadly in that situation once again and we are called to make painful sacrifice for the common good. The Holy See’s Letter stresses that “Aware that God never abandons the humanity He has created, and that even in the hardest trials can bear fruits of grace, we [should accept] our distance from the Lord’s altar as a time of Eucharistic fasting, useful for us to rediscover its vital importance, beauty and immeasurable preciousness”.
I appeal to all to enter into this difficult period with that spirit. We must pray that we can soon return to the Eucharist “with a purified heart, with a renewed amazement, with an increased desire to meet the Lord, to be with him, to receive him and to bring him to our brothers and sisters with a life full of faith, love and hope.”
As you are aware the annual collection for Crosscare was planned to take place over this weekend. Please encourage people not to overlook this important collection. Donations can be made online at www.crosscare.ie
18th September 2020
If people wish to donate towards the maintenance and upkeep of our parish and church, there is a facility to do that via a link on our website and Facebook page. Just press on the ‘Donate’ button and follow the instructions. Otherwise, people can post, or drop a donation in via the letterbox, to The Parish House, 197 Kylemore Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin D10 P659.
Webcam Difficulties – If you ever have difficulty accessing our webcam through our parish website, try this link, via the Church Services site, for an alternative way of getting to the same place.
Novena in honour of St. Gerard Majella, from our Redemptorist Monastery and church at St. Joseph’s, Dundalk. Beginning Thursday, October 8th, and ending on the feast day of St. Gerard on Friday, October 16th. Sessions each day at 7am, 10am, 11.30am, 1.10pm, 4pm, 7.30pm & 9pm.
Crosscare COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update
Crosscare’s focus has always been to serve the most vulnerable in our society. During this crisis we are working hard to ensure that the essential services we provide remain available to our service users while operating in line with Government and HSE advice to ensure that our service users and staff are protected.
While some of our face to face services have had to be adapted to meet HSE requirements, as much as possible we are continuing to provide supports through other remote means including phone and web based technologies.
Our Homeless Services including our residential facility for young people are open and operating normally and in line with HSE guidelines. We are working closely with the HSE, DRHE, Tusla and other government bodies, local authorities and colleagues in other similar organisations to ensure that our service users’ needs are supported and our people are kept safe.
Crosscare opened a new inner city 100 bed cocooning services for people who are homeless to keep them safe from the virus.
Our Food Banks remain open to support those most in need at this difficult time and we have made changes at a local level to ensure that the health of all involved is safeguarded.
Close to 7,000 emergency food parcels have been delivered to vulnerable individuals and families as a crisis response since the pandemic began.
Our Community Cafes remain open providing takeaway services to protect the health of our teams and customers.
Our Carecall team are operating a normal service making calls daily to all our clients.
Youth services had to close initially and staff were redeployed to help keep the essential food and residential services running. Services are now open with a greater emphasis on on line and telephone work and working more intensely with smaller numbers of particularly vulnerable young people.
Our Drugs and Alcohol Programme team are carrying out online sessions with their clients.
Our Voluntary Clubs team continue to link in with and support our volunteers by phone and other web-based technologies.
Please support this important work if you can by taking an envelope from the back of the Church or donating on-line at www.crosscare.ie
COVID-19 community supports are now in place to ensure vulnerable members of the community are reached and helped at this time.
These comprise the local authority, Health Service Executive, County Champions, An Post, Community Welfare Service, An Garda Síochána, other State organisations, charities and other stakeholders.
These Dedicated helplines are focused specifically on ensuring that the cocooning elderly, vulnerable members of the community or those living alone can access deliveries of groceries, medicine and fuels.
Click here to see a list of these services.